Organization: Management Systems International
Closing date: 12 Apr 2017
Short-Term Consultant, Support to New Anti-Corruption Legal Assistance Centers in Mali, Mali Justice Project (MJP), Mali
Company Profile: MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI implements nearly 100 projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Morocco, Lebanon, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with more than 80 organizations across all sectors of international development with clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
Project Summary: **
The Mali Justice Project is a major USAID initiative to strengthen citizen confidence in the rule of law by ensuring access to justice through efficient judicial institutions and processes. One of the project’s key components focuses on reducing corruption in the trade corridors in the Sikasso region. Trade operators (transporters, drivers, traders) are frequently subjects of extortion by customs, police, gendarmerie and other controlling and inspecting agencies along trading corridors. Often trade operators are not aware of their rights and are reluctant to appeal to authorities or the courts due to a lack of trust in public institutions.
To address the issue, MJP is supporting the Malian organizations to establish two independent legal assistance centers. The centers will provide legal assistance to trade operators in the form of legal advice, filing grievances with public authorities, representing citizen interests to authorities seeking administrative resolution, and representing cases in court. In addition, the centers will conduct legal education activities with key stakeholder groups and the population at large, and advocate for the government to improve its policies and procedures to reduce opportunities and occurrences of corruption.
MJP is looking for a consultant to build the capacity of these legal centers and their personnel through training and coaching as well as developing policies and procedures for operating the center and providing legal assistance services.
The short-term Consultant will conduct an interactive three-day training for legal assistance center personnel and provide assistance in developing policies and procedures for operating the centers and providing legal assistance services.
The assignment is scheduled for late April 2017. The total number of days under this assignment is up to 20 days including a two week trip to Bamako, Mali.
**Note: Please apply by March 27, 2017
- Develop and deliver a three-day interactive training for the staff of these legal assistance centers that includes such topics as setting up policies and procedures for the center operations, registering and processing complaints, establishing and running hotlines and web-based platforms, handling cases (consultations, administrative resolution, court), dealing with complaints, communicating with public institutions, working with the media and investigative reporters, conducting innovative public awareness and education activities, analyzing corruption reporting data and information, and developing and implementing advocacy campaigns.
- Assist the legal assistance center staff with developing policies, procedures, manuals for operating the centers and providing legal assistance services.
- Experience with establishing and operating independent legal assistance centers dealing with citizen complaints about corruption. An example of such centers is Transparency International’s Advocacy and Legal Advice Centers (ALACs).
- Graduate level degree in law, public administration, political science or similar field preferred.
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience.
- Fluent French language is required.
- Directly relevant regional or Mali developmental experience is highly desirable.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com
How to apply:
Powered by Jobs Mali